Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Tokeyopop's Contracts

After reading this http://destroyerzooey.livejournal.com/180842.html I wanted to mention another bit of their bad (for the writer or artist ) contracts. I was talking to one of their artists and learned how a contract for a series there works. It seems that you write the first one as a standalone volume with a contract to do a sequel. But..if the first one is a flop no sequel is ever released. So this damages the cohesion of the stories and makes so good stories not be told. I must admit I was not in the least surprised by this new contract they are doing. But really, no moral rights. That is too far, even for Tokeopop.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I notice you have a thumbnail for Raina Telgemeier's "SMILE webcomic, but it does not link to it.

Is this in error?

Anonymous said...

Hi, this is Raina, creator of SMILE, which I see you've posted an image of on your blog. Thanks! I'll take that to mean you enjoy the comic, which is always nice.

However, the image links right to my site and takes up my bandwidth...which is a bit of a problem. Could you re-upload the image to your own server, or host it on a site like Photobucket, or set it up as a link to the comic itself? It would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Gabriel said...

I am sorry about that, there was defiantly no intention to have it be bad for your bandwidth. I made it link to the comic. I hope that helps. Let me know if this works,
Reader