Sunday, September 7, 2008

TIFF 08: Picasso and Braque Go to the Movies


The films I am seeing at this years TIFF are now on a downward spiral. As I was deciding what rating to give this film on the People's Choice Award card they handed out, I realized the first film I saw at the TIFF (Me and Orson Welles) I gave a 5; the second film (Every Little Step) a 4; and this a 3 or even 2. Now I would like to explain why.
Picasso and Braque Go To The Movies is based on an art exhibit and feels very much like the type of films you watch in an exhibit. It is a movie that tries to cram a whole exhibit worth of films and paintings into an hour's time. The film is often too much, as you would I am sorry to say probably not look at the exhibit for an hour. The other problem with the film is, apart from Martin Scorsese who is one of the most enjoyable presences in the film, no one interviewed (those interviewed include Chuck Close and Julian Schnabel) seems to care so much about the points made in the film which are that, basically, Picasso and Braque liked to go to the movies and the technology of the film projectors inspired several of their works of cubism. All in all the film just fell flat.


No comments: